Religion

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Babble on in Babylon

This past week a friend of my let me borrow her copy of Beth Moore’s DVD series entitled “Daniel: Lives of Integrity, Words of Prophecy.” The DVDs are part of a study set for studying the Book of Daniel. If you are a person who is interested in understanding this wonderful prophetic book of the Old Testament, I would highly encourage that you purchase this study set. The lessons are designed to be a faith-building study of prophecy, while encouraging participants to learn how to shine for Christ in our modern culture. The Leader's Kit includes six DVDs that feature a teaching session on each of the 12 chapters in the Book of Daniel, one Member Book, and one Leader's Guide.

Throughout the study, Moore continually compares ancient Babylon to modern day America and the parallels are stunning. She challenges her audience to live a life like Daniel that is uncompromising in nature in the face of a culture that seeks to indoctrinate its members toward self-indulgent ideals.

During one of the sessions, Moore read a poem entitled “Babble on in Babylon” that was submitted by one of her students that perfectly describes our “me-first” culture where self and individually reign supreme. I was so struck with its content that I wanted to share it with all of you. I hope it helps lift the veil of our society that so closely mirrors Daniel’s environment. My prayer for my own life as well as for believers around the world is that all of us will become mini-Daniels in our walk with the Lord, affecting our culture for God as opposed to having our culture affect us.

Babble on in Babylon
Brimming closets, shoe racks bulge, one in every color, I’ll just indulge.
My wildest whim will oft be met, bigger, faster, give me, get.
Travel on in Babylon.


May I go first? Knew you’d not care, for my time’s precious. You’ve lots to spare.
I’ll slip in front and off I’ll go. See, I’m quite fast and well, you’re quite slow.
I and me fast friends, life-long.
Prattle on in Babylon.


Nip it here, just there a lift. I just turned forty, it was a gift.
The eyes, the lips, the bosoms do, sculptured, lasered, injected, too.
No wrinkles left, the tummy’s gone.
Journey on in Babylon.


Enough of me, how do you view me?
You get one, but give me three.
I couldn’t bare to just say no, it’s my desire and rightly so.
Add another and on and on.
Shuffle on in Babylon.


No end in sight that I can see, today is blocked by the mirror in front of me.
A wreck, a death, tsunami tide, it mildly stirs me, I must confide.
TV claims tens of thousands gone.
Oh well, let’s see what else is on.
Numb to the stunning sight of each new dawn,
Sinking fast in Babylon.


Like a lobster in a pot who begins to like the water hot,
I’ve been duped, been tricked, been had, convinced that truth was somehow bad.
Evil, coddled and cooed and purred, and beckoned me and called and lured.
Now in a place with the lights turned on, I’m racing home from Babylon.
I’m racing home from Babylon.

- Lynn Parker

No comments: