Religion

Friday, December 17, 2010

A Living Epistle (part 2)

Last week, I spoke about Mother Teresa and how her life is the epitome of the gospel. I became so enraptured with her ministry that I went to the library and got a book entitled, Something Beautiful for God. The author is Malcolm Muggeridge who was an English journalist, author, media personality, and satirist. He was a well-known agnostic for most of his life but converted to Christianity largely because of the influence of Mother Teresa upon his life. His book interprets her life “through the eyes of a modern-day skeptic who became literally transformed within her presence.”

I have only read 40 pages of the book thus far and it is riveting to say the least. So, rather than spending the next few paragraphs telling you about the book, I thought I would include some powerful quotes from Mother Teresa that truly depict her faith and love of God, and thereby, give us a picture of what the transformed life looks like up close:

“At the end of life we will not be judged by how many diplomas we have received, how much money we have made, how many great things we have done. We will be judged by 'I was hungry and you gave me to eat, I was naked and you clothed me, I was homeless and you took me in.' Hungry not only for bread - but hungry for love. Naked not only for clothing - but naked for human dignity and respect. Homeless not only for want of a room of bricks - but homeless because of rejection.”

“Humility is the mother of all virtues; purity, charity and obedience. It is in being humble that our love becomes real, devoted and ardent. If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are. If you are blamed you will not be discouraged. If they call you a saint you will not put yourself on a pedestal.”

“I choose the poverty of our poor people. But I am grateful to receive (the Nobel) in the name of the hungry, the naked, the homeless, of the crippled, of the blind, of the lepers, of all those people who feel unwanted, unloved, uncared-for throughout society, people that have become a burden to the society and are shunned by everyone.”

“Love is a fruit in season at all times, and within the reach of every hand. Anyone may gather it and no limit is set. Everyone can reach this love through meditation, spirit of prayer and sacrifice, by an intense inner life.”

“I try to give to the poor people for love what the rich could get for money. No, I wouldn't touch a leper for a thousand pounds; yet I willingly cure him for the love of God.”

“Joy is a prayer – Joy is strength – Joy is love – Joy is a net by which you can catch souls.”

“Our life of poverty is as necessary as the work itself. Only in heaven will we see how much we owe to the poor for helping us to love God better because of them.”

“Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.”

“By blood and origin I am Albanian. My citizenship is Indian. I am a Catholic nun. As to my calling, I belong to the whole world. As to my heart, I belong entirely to the heart of Jesus.”

No comments: