Religion

Friday, July 16, 2010

A Poem for the Hurting

During this past week, I had been studying the Book of James which deals primarily with understanding and overcoming trials and temptations. Many scholars believe the author to be Jesus’ brother. The epistle is addressed to "the twelve tribes scattered abroad" (James 1:1), which is generally taken to mean a Jewish Christian audience but may have been broader in context to include believers in general.

I read several commentaries on this wonderful letter during my study and came across the following poem that really touched my heart as it delicately describes the despair one feels during a trial and then poignantly expresses the unmistakable hope that is found in the One that has overcome the world (John 16:33). I hope and pray it is a blessing to you as you stand firm in the fact that, “no temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.” (I Corinthians 10:13)

"Faith"

I will not doubt, though all my ships at sea
Come drifting home with broken masts and sails;
I shall believe the Hand which never fails,
From seeming evil worketh good for me;
And though I weep because those sails are battered,
Still will I cry, while my best hopes lie shattered,
“I trust in Thee.”

I will not doubt, though all my prayers return
Unanswered from the still, white Realm above;
I shall believe it is an all-wise Love
Which has refused those things for which I yearn;
And though at times I cannot keep from grieving,
Yet the pure ardour of my fixed believing
Undimmed shall burn.

I will not doubt, though sorrows fall like rain,
And troubles swarm like bees about a hive;
I shall believe the heights for which I strive
Are only reached by anguish and by pain;
And though I groan and tremble with my crosses,
I yet shall see, through my severest losses,
The greater gain.

I will not doubt; well-anchored in the faith,
Like some staunch ship, my soul braves every gale;
So strong its courage that it will not fail
To breast the mighty unknown sea of Death.
Oh, may I cry when body parts with spirit,
“I do not doubt,” so listening worlds may hear it,
With my last breath.
------------------------------------------------------------
By: Ella Wheeler Wilcox

No comments: